Friday, November 11, 2011

In Depth Learning


In-Depth Learning

Students find comfort in repetition, and knowing what to expect.
On the other hand, too much exact repetition leads to "boredom".

A challenging and rewarding goal for me is to find interesting ways to look at a subject or skill from various angles and parameters - to emphasize different aspects of the same skill.

In my second year guitar class, we were working on a chromatic pattern that was presented in tablature - 121-232-343 - in the open position.  It didn't take long for the students to learn to play the pattern proficiently.  Rather than dropping the pattern and moving on to something else, in the spirit of in-depth-learning, I looked for way to build on the skill that they had established.  Further, in my class, I always ask, "how can I point the "stuff" I do towards music reading?"  The following is a list of the variations that I used.

1. I would play excerpts of the pattern, and have students write it out using sharps only.
2. I would play excerpts of the pattern, and have students write it out using flats only.
3. Play an excerpt a fifth away, and have student determine the interval.  Divide the class in two groups and let them hear the pattern in parallel fifths.
4. Have them finger and play the pattern on their guitar in parallel fifths.
5. Repeat the process in other intervals such as octaves, thirds and sixths.
6. Convert the pattern to a diatonic scale, and repeat the variations.
7. Play the pattern completely on one string, as well as across the neck.

As you can see, with a little creativity, I was able to create varied repetition of a single idea.  The students find comfort in linking a known skill to a new skill.  The objectives of finger independence was expanded to include, note reading, interval theory, and theme-and-variation.



No comments:

Post a Comment